Sunday, May 24, 2020

How to stop credit card crooks.

Gentle People:

 While analyzing to understand the Covid-19 disease, I often bump into product advertising on the net and one particular well presented product caught my attention. Curious, I used the telephone number to find more about the product and a boiler room sales person in New York talked me into giving him my credit card information. He said he would send me a free sample of a new face cream that worked to remove wrinkles and all I had to do was pay for the postage. If I liked the product which was beautifully featured on the internet, I could purchase more later. To pay only for the postage I would, of course, have to provide him with my credit card information. I foolishly trusted him and provided the information. When the M.B.N.A. credit card people later sent me my account statement, the total amount added up to $467.66 I expected a free sample and a low postal charge. I never authorized full purchase charges!

 If I did not have a lady friend who likes to experiment with different face creams, absolutely nothing would have happened but I do have a gentle lady friend and so I thought I would make her a gift of the free sample. That particular sample never arrived!

I telephoned M.B.N.A and complained about the unauthorized charges and their service representative advised me to pay my bill in full.
I asked him to cancel my credit card number and to send me a new credit card with a different number. He did and I received the new card and that rendered the old card unusable but the damage was done! The representative also gave me a telephone number in Florida. It was a face cream company and their answering service advised me they would return my call. Not long afterwards their representative phoned me and I surprised her by asking she refund my money back into my credit card account. Unless they changed it, their  telephone number in Florida is 1-925-524-3310. It is possible this face cream company was not aware of the boiler room sales person using their products to cheat potential buyers. In Florida, the face cream lady said she would give me one ticket for every contested amount on my credit card bill and all I had to do was fill in the tickets. I did and nothing happened.

  My second M.B.N.A bill had an even larger amount listed. The person responsible for the unauthorized use of my credit card used it again on the same morning I was telephoning the Florida face cream company to ask they return my money. I again telephoned M.B.N.A  and this time a lady answered. After I explained why I was calling she immediately understood how I was being cheated and explained how I was not alone. She asked for my credit card information in order to place my complaint into my account. She then asked me to telephone her back if there was an extra charge on my next bill. I told her I was not going to use their credit card and any charge on my bill would be fraudulent. I have not yet informed the police but that is my next step.

 I do not know if  M.B.N.A will cease and desist charging me for the criminal behavior of a slick boiler room operator but there is a way to slow down the process. If you are interested in buying a product and then begin to feel the person on the other end of the line is not totally honest, do not give he or she your credit card information. Especially not the pin number on the back of the card!
 If a so-called sales person politely asks for your credit card information, including the pin number behind the card, do not provide it because honest commercial companies never ask for the credit card pin number. Do ask the person to phone you back and then give he or she the telephone number of your credit card complaint department and also their local police department fraud squad.

The unauthorized face cream products listed on my credit card bill.

1. Pure look pro. No2.                    N.Y.   855-7758637                            2.85
2. Massive Vital Balance SHA       N.Y.   866-217-5253                      158.26
3. Gurualphafitnessereade              F.L.    855-7453512                       149.40
4. Ultra new skin vital nutri           N.Y    844-747-8637                          7.05
5. Luxuryrevivalamazinglo            N.Y.   855-3650253                        157.00
                                                                                                            -----------
                                                                                                  TOTAL  $474.56
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Fraud preventionCollapse Detecting fraud

You can avoid fraud if you know how to detect it. There are several different types of card fraud to avoid:
  • Card not present fraud: fraudsters can obtain your credit card details from such things as discarded receipts. They can then use this information to purchase high value or desirable goods online, by phone or mail order. For transactions online or by phone the retailer does not need to see the card (or require the PIN), hence the name "card not present fraud".
  • Identity theft/account takeover fraud: fraudsters can obtain your personal details from various sources including: discarded or intercepted mail, View DetailsphishingView DetailsvishingView DetailssmishingView Detailsspoofing, hoax calls, social networking websites, public records, View Detailshacking genuine websites and listening in on telephone calls. Once they have your personal details they can use this to access your account, order cards, change your address, complete a balance transfer or deposit and assume the identity of a genuine customer in order to purchase goods or obtain funds fraudulently.
  • Application fraud: this is another form of View Detailsidentity theft. In this case, the fraudster uses your personal details to apply for a brand new credit card or bank account rather than taking over an existing account. This often happens when the genuine customer has moved from their previous address.
  • Counterfeit fraud: this is the manufacture of a fake credit card using genuine card details. The card details are copied from the magnetic strip of the genuine card using a device called a View Detailsskimmer. This information is then transferred to the magnetic strip on a fake credit card that can be used to purchase goods online or in countries where Chip & PIN has not yet been introduced.
  • Malware fraud: short for "malicious software", malware refers to software programs that are distributed in the form of innocent-looking popups, emails or View Detailsspam but are designed to damage, capture information or do other unwanted actions to your computer. Common examples include View DetailsvirusesView DetailswormsView Detailstrojan horsesView Detailsadware and View Detailsspyware.
Expand Preventing fraud
Expand Email fraud



     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liver-Protecting Fennel Juice [Vegan] This is a juice that you’ve probably never tried before. It uses the vegetable fennel which many peopl...